Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Caps for Sale - WWRW

I'm gonna link up with Housewifespice for What We're Reading Wednesday.

It's true, I'm in a stage once again when I just can't read an actual book. No time, or no mental energy for this kind of reading. When I have a little time I read a short article online or look at Pinterest, or watch PBS, Amazon Prime or YouTube! I know. This, for the woman who claims she actually needs to read every day for mental health, is a hard stage. And I'm a little ashamed. But this stage will pass.

But, I'll tell you about a book we do read here almost every day. A book that is a classic, with wonderful folk-art illustrations. A book so delightful in its narration that it bears endless repetition:

Caps for Sale, By Esphyr Slobodkina, is a favorite for Luke and Leia's bedtime story, right up there with Frog and Toad and The Cozy Book. (I remember seeing/ hearing it read on Reading Rainbow long ago!) It has such a folk tale-like cadence to it. Just enough repetition and variation to make it perfect for the reader to pause regularly and let the listeners chime in what comes next. And a recent development here is to change the story each time, replacing 'caps' with something else for the peddler to carry on his head, and replacing the mischievous monkeys with another animal. You should have heard the hilarity the night someone decided the peddler should sell underwear! Endless potential for fun. 
Highly recommended for all ages. Our eight year old wonderful big sister, Kitty, sometimes reads it to them. And I must say, Fyodor and I enjoy reading it aloud, even for the millionth time. Which is a good thing in a storybook. 

5 comments:

  1. Caps for Sale has been a favorite of mine since I was young. I love sharing it with my son! I enjoy that it's so easy to have memorized that I can tell the story no matter where we are, especially helpful in the car!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment! It's awesome that you have it memorized. My kids do, too.

      Delete
  2. I never heard of this classic but it looks like something my daughter would really enjoy.

    Mrs. C

    ReplyDelete
  3. Changing the story! What an brilliant idea! I go through the "not being able to read a whole book" stage too. Also, I have never heard of this "Cozy Book." Must check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Caps for Sale is a staple at our house. It's a pretty clever story. :o)

    ReplyDelete

Friendly comments welcome! I like to know who's reading my blog.