Monday, March 10, 2014

The light and the weather at this time of year make me feel so Irish.

This day God gives me 
Strength of high heaven
Sun and moon shining,
 Flame in my hearth,
Flashing of lightening, 
Wind in its swiftness
Deeps of the ocean,
 Firmness of earth.

This day God sends me
Strength as my steersman,
Might to uphold me,
Wisdom as guide.
Your eyes are watchful,
Your ears are listening, 
Your lips are speaking,
Friend, at my side.

God's way is my way,
God's shield is round me.
God's hosts defend me,
Saving from ill.
Angels of heaven,
Guard from me always
All that would harm me.
Stand by me, still.

Rising, I thank you,
Mighty and strong one,
King of creation,
Giver of rest.
Freely confessing
Threeness of persons,
Oneness of godhead,
Trinity blest.

-St Patrick's breastplate, (to the tune 'Morning has Broken', a traditional Gaelic tune "Bunessan")

No comments:

Post a Comment

Friendly comments welcome! I like to know who's reading my blog.